Sunday, April 17, 2011

Old Mother's Cupboard

This cupboard had long been forgotten in my parents basement filled with dirty old tools.  I'm not quite sure how old it is, although I suspect it's well over 50 years.  I've been itching to get at this cupboard for years.  Whenever I would bring it up, my Mom would say "What would you want with that old thing?".  But finally I convinced them to empty it out and let it see the sun again. 


My husband helped me reinforce it's structure using his handy air-nailer.  Then it was sanding time.  There were a surprising number of layers of paint. But eventually with some elbow grease, I had a blank canvas. 

Unlike other pieces I've done in the past, I wasn't trying to make it look "new", but rather highlight it's age.  I opted not to use a roller or a paint brush.  Instead I rubbed the paint on with a clean rag and then simply wiped it off again.


The hardware came from my Mom's kitchen redo, which I spray painted black.



I'm really pleased with how it turned out.  I think it adds character to the room.  And I love the fact that's it been in my family for years.  Who knows? Maybe someday I will pass it on to one of my children.


2 comments:

  1. These projects you do totally freak me out! lol Like seriously, how come I didn't get any of these genes?! Another great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Freak you out? You're silly! lol You don't realize how easy it really is.

    ReplyDelete